Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Looking forward to seeing Girls play in January

I spied Girls on a bill for a concert at Walters on Washington last time I was there and I remembered that I'd seen the same band name on the Pitchfork top 100 of 2008 so I was immediately intrigued. A couple days ago I bought a copy of their most recent offering, their first full album, "Album" haha. That still looks awkward to me after proofing it a few times but anyway, "Album" was pretty decent and had a nice minimalist, indie sound to it that I rarely find without the oft present pretentious indie self-indulgence (which was thankfully absent). The sound can be described as maybe a little bit of Blur, a little Iggy Pop, a little Strokes, a little Walkmen (but a bit more upbeat) and lots of gratuitous but tasteful feedback and spring reverb. They also receive from me, an award for one of the best song names since Beck's "Truck Drivin' Neighbors downstairs" with their catchy, 50's sounding, "Big Bad Mean Motherfucker". It's got cussing and double alliteration hahaha. Hopefully I'll get to go listen to them play on the 31st. Do yourself a favor and check out the simple yet interesting "Album" by Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment