Friday, September 9, 2011

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers - I'm with You


There's just no more spice left in the Red Hot Chilli Peppers but hey, I've know that since "Stadium Arcadium". Rick Rubin, who's definitely lost his touch by now, flattens out this already flat pancake of an album by brutally murdering any subtly or sense of dynamics.

The content itself is just as lackluster with the same ol' Anthony Kiedis refusing to grow out of his annoying white-boy-funk-rapper vocal style. This comes to an absolute head of obnoxiousness when in the song "Ethopia" he keeps repeating the weird scatted phrase "E-I-O-I-E-I-AY".

"The Adventures of Raindance Maggie" in addition to having a stupid, pretentious name, is another point on the album that shows that the Chillis have settled comfortably into "Stadium Arcadium" sound. The lyrics are really what make the album so insipid though. "Tick tock I want to rock you like the eighties, cockblocking isn't allowed." No depth WHATsoever.

The cover is even stupid. It's a close-up shot of a fly perched on top of a pill bearing the album's name. Am I supposed to think that's deep or meaningful or something?
I think it's the worst album cover since this one (which at least was a good album):










As always, it's a pleasure to hear Flea's fantastic bass lines but that, in the end, is really the only appealing thing about this record.

Grade: F

No comments:

Post a Comment