Sunday, August 1, 2010

Go get lost in some Woods


Folk doesn't necessarily evoke feelings of excitement for most people which is understandable given the rootsy, no-nonsense yet lo-fi characteristics of most folk artists. There's a plethora of excellent folk out there but it doesn't always grab you in the same way a really crazy, out-there, indie band has the power to do. However, the other day I stumbled upon a band that I would definitely call folksy (and at times lo-fi) that is really different. Combine acoustic guitars, strangely high vocals, the occasional electric guitar solo, and some interesting tape effects you'll get freak folk band Woods. The near falsetto singing reminds me almost of the fantastic, freaky-deek, Philadelphia, indie band Man Man yet a bit more accessible.
Songs of Shame is the name of the 2009 LP that first exposed me to this excellent band but I hear they also have a new LP out as well. I'll have to find that sometime soon. If you're interested in the band I'd direct you to the songs "September with Pete" which is a groovy psych jam with lots of lush reverb and the close to as psychedelic but catchier "The Hold".

No comments:

Post a Comment