Thursday, December 9, 2010

The pains of being too busy to enjoy the pains of being pure at heart


I've had to put lots of music I wanted to listen to on the back burner this past year because I've been so busy. One band I've had recommended to me a few times is NYC noise pop group The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and recently have gotten around to listening to them. It's a pity it took me so long to discover these guys because they are excellent.

Their self-titled first album is a noisy but dancy release that incorporates a number of shoegaze themes with present day indie pop. In songs like "Teenage in Love" (not to be confused with the Dion and the Belmonts song) the band uses fast, dance-tempo, drumbeats and whimsical lyrics to create angsty but restrained music that is hard not to love. The vocalist sings in a very dramatic, Morrisey/Ride, sort of style which completely appeals to me as a post-punk junkie. The real success of the record is its innocent poppiness and simplicity.

My favorite tracks include A Teenager in Love, Contender, and Hey Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment