Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Jandek on Corwood

I ordered five more Jandek albums recently: two classic studio albums from his reclusive period and three live albums. The more I listen, the more I get sucked into the mystery; the more I also realize that Jandek has a lot to say. My first plunge was an uncomfortable one. Listening to the music by myself at night gave me goosebumps. Now I'm a little more at ease when listening.

Before getting to album reviews I have to talk about the only Jandek documentary out there, "Jandek on Corwood". I bought it with the idea that it might shed light on the cryptic crooner but instead it consisted mostly of people talking out of their asses and implying that Jandek was a sociopath. It did include some useful parts, like some people who actually had phone and mail contact with Jandek. It also included some footage of an interview with the guy who had an actual phone interview with the representative. Also, the honorable Doctor Demento had some cameos, which I think is very appropriate given all he's done for outsider music.

However, the bulk of it was people speculating about Jandek and maligning his character by going on the assumption that the man is a looney-tune nutcase, something that I disagree with highly from what I've observed. I had the privilege of shaking his hand and thanking him for playing at Big Star Bar and he didn't scamper off into the shadows or try to bite me, something that the documentary would almost have you expect. He was nothing but kind. Just because someone creates unusual, arcane music does not mean that the person is psychotic. That also goes for his love of privacy. Maybe he has social anxiety, maybe he has another role in life such that he wants to keep the two separated. I know that I'm speculating too but only to prove that there are other possible explanations for his behavior. To jump to the most sensational theories will sell DVDs but I don't think it helps us understand Jandek any better.

The other irritating maxim put forward in the documentary is that without being reclusive Jandek would have no fans and no appeal. How unfair! I know his music is not for everyone but come on, that's a glib comment if I ever heard one. It was some lady who works in a record store. Whatever. Rant finished. There were parts of it I really liked but too many things pissed me off to give it an A. That and it was shot only a year or two before Jandek started making live appearances all over the world. I think that blows a pretty good size hole in the sociopath theory. It would have definitely changed the nature of the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment