Sunday, December 28, 2008

Valkyrie

(originally written Dec. 26th)
Well, I decided to give Tom Cruise the benefit of the doubt; saw Valkyrie today. For those of you who don't know, Valkyrie is about one of the many plots to assassinate Adolf Hitler and the title is take from operation Valkyrie: the Nazi's plan B for if Hitler is killed. While I decided to put my hatred for Tom behind me for an hour and a half I wasn't ready to pay him. I snuck in instead. I was pretty thrilled at the prospect of a free movie. Even a free movie starring Tom Cruise is still a free movie. So, as I watched the film I was pretty impressed by the Nazi uniforms and vehicles and the well designed sets and the believability of the setting. The plot was engaging and well paced (I won't spoil anything lest I get hate-mail) and I was pretty satisfied with most of the acting. I would have paid for the movie if given the chance to see it again with someone else. There was only one problem with the movie. Tom Cruise. There was a part, where, I shit you not, he said hung instead of hanged. Tom's character thought he was being clever and dramatic by saying something to the effect of "this portrait of Hitler will be unhung and he will be hung" but sorry Tom Cruise, it's hanged. Yes, no one caught that. Did Tom edit the script too? Evidently. This part reminded me how much I hate Tom Cruise to a point where I could no longer suspend my disbelief. Yet again, Tom Cruise scholar of psychology and sage of scientology has destroyed another otherwise enjoyable film for me. Damn your eyes Tom Cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment