Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Wolf Parade visits Beantown



I've attended a lot of great shows this year (I'll list them all in another entry) but the best show I went to, hands down, was Wolf Parade at Paradise Rock Club in Boston. I've been listening to them for about a year now and I am completely blown away by their combination of synth and guitar; especially in songs like "Fancy Claps" where the two sound almost like one. Another unique aspect of Wolf Parade is the immediately recognizable Bowiesque vocals of frontman Dan Boeckner, which rang out just as wonderfully live as they did on studio recordings.

The opening band, Wintersleep, (also hailing from Canada) made me glad I showed up on time. Though not as genius as Wolf Parade, their set was very entertaining and original and inspired me to buy their album Welcome to the Night Sky. Then Wolf Parade came on. The band preformed all of their most recent album At Mount Zoomer and much of their first album Apologies to the Queen Mary. For me, "Fancy Claps", "I'll Believe in Anything", "Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts", "Animal in Your Care", and "Kissing the Beehive" were the show's highlights and by the end of the concert most people screaming "I'll Believe in Anything" at the tops of their lungs with riot-like ferocity.

And like almost every concert I've gone to this year, against all odds, regardless of the venue, someone lit up a J. It wasn't even an outdoor concert. There wasn't even a lawn or outdoor seating. Yet some bold soul was toking up. Go figure. I salute you vigilant stoner man! (who seems to be following me from show to show. . .) I can't say too much more about the concert and I won't even try to convey my enjoyment any further but Wolf Parade live is something I eagerly hope I'll experience again.


^ I'll Believe in Anything (live August 08)

No comments:

Post a Comment