Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Death and Disco

I know I've made a lot posts today but I can't forget to talk about the most creative cover of 2008. I saw Hercules and Love Affair this October at Middle East night club in Cambridge Mass and I was really impressed. If you're not familiar with Hercules and Love Affair they're a wonderful modern disco band that worked closely with vocalist Antony for their self titled 2008 debut album. Though lots of electronic bands try to replicate the disco sound through use of synths and samples of live instruments Hercules' uses actual live horns, bass, clavichord, and backup vocals even in concert.

After playing a very satisfying set, they concluded the concert with a disco cover of Blue Öyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper". I was struck dumb at the audacity of picking a song with subject matter seemingly so incompatible with a disco treatment. However, the cover was dancy and fun while still maintaining enough of the original song's form. Take a look:

No comments:

Post a Comment