Thursday, May 27, 2010

Glam Rock Revival


I was coming home from my friend's house in Cape Cod yesterday morning, a little hungover, a little sleepy, and I decided to throw some tunes on that I'd never heard before to wake myself up. I looked through my iPhone's library for anything I'd not listened to before and saw an entire, self-titled, 2009 album by the Smith Westerns. I'd heard their name before and honestly I can't remember how the album got onto my phone but it was early, I was groggy, and just wanted something to keep me awake. I could be my regular, picky, self later.

What I heard was some incredible indie-rock that sounded somewhere between the late Memphis, punk-rocker, Jay Reatard, and English, 70's, Glam musician, Marc Boland of T. Rex fame and I think I'm in love. Anyone who sounds like Marc Boland or David Bowie or Iggy Pop is extremely interesting to me because I love glam but am nowhere near old enough to have been alive while it was at its apex. Trust me, the Smith Westerns are a blast from the past but are strangely modern at the same time. Expect even better things from these guys in the future. I leave you with my favorite SW song: it's called "Dreams"

No comments:

Post a Comment