Wednesday, June 2, 2010

LCD Soundsystem's newest (and last?) album


I waited patiently the morning of the release date, with my iTunes open, and poised to click "buy album" and my musical vigil was rewarded with some very satisfying new tunes from one of my favorite projects of all time. Some of the best tracks on
This is really happening are "You wanted a hit", "I can change", "pow pow", "drunk girls", and "home" (even though I consider the entire offering to be more than praiseworthy).

"You wanted a hit" in particular, summed up the attitude of James Murphy towards music today and the industry itself. He expressed a kind of carefully worded frustration with the manic songwriting artists must engage into fulfill the terms of contracts or to create a "hit". Murphy sings: "You wanted a hit but maybe we don't do hits. I try and try and it ends up...feeling kind of wrong" which hints at true artistic frustration than the puerile, temper tantrums, against the capitalist world which end up (no coincidence here) making the artist piles and piles of money off of malcontent, angst-ridden, teenagers ( รก la Rage Against the Machine).

As is usual for LCD Soundsystem, the other lyrics are droll, thought-provoking, stream-of-consciousness rants by Murphy, some of which contain concrete meaning while others just sound like really, really, cool dadaist poetry. The music itself is played in accordance nature of previous albums without sounding recycled or boring. If you liked the band's first two albums then there is no reason you should shy away from
This is really happening. Some of the catchiest melodies on the LP come from "I can change" and "You wanted a hit". It's all thinking man's dance music with a heavy heaping of disco beats, synths and feedback-laden guitar: very post-punk. I can't say too much else about how much I love this album and encourage all of you to go out and buy it legally to reward Murphy for his genius. There's a rumor, which I can't seem to trace to its source, that the album might very well be the last. I hope this is not the case but even if is, this project has left us all with some stellar music.

No comments:

Post a Comment