Friday, June 11, 2010

What to make of Alejandro?

I still don't know exactly what to think about Lady Gaga's latest video effort but at least it wasn't as ridiculous and confusing as her video for telephone. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Gaga fan. I love her style, her music, her attitude but Telephone (both the song and video) just never cut it for me. The song was hi-jacked by Beyoncé and the parts where Gaga sung were just sort of boring. The problem with the video was a little different in that my problem was the fact that I had not a single clue what the fuck was going on. There was the pussy wagon from Kill Bill, the random poisonings, and Gaga's relationship with Beyoncé that all left me wondering whether I had missed an hour of plot from the storyline. The video for Alejandro was pretty good. I liked the dictator feel to it since it allowed Gaga to be creepy and weird: two things she is good at. The dancing was cool too even if the leather boys did freak me out just a little bit. No matter though, Gaga is just being provocative. Same thing with her use of religious imagery against raw, nasty, sexual images. Being a Catholic, I could be offended but I think I understand what the latex nun outift and rosary were all about. She's just juxtaposing different things for effect. I liked it a lot more than Telephone but not nearly as much as Bad Romance.


No comments:

Post a Comment