Saturday, March 20, 2010

CD/mp3 Review: Elephants EP by Warpaint

I saw Warpaint a few weeks ago and I plan to see them again on the ninth of April at Mangos in Houston because their show with Akron/Family was so excellent. I have a copy of their Exquisite Corpse LP from 2009 but unfortunately that's back at my dorm room and I'm on spring break so I'll review that one later and for now I'll review their little Elephants EP that came out more recently, in March of 2010. There are two songs on the EP. Both are alternate versions of songs "Krimson" and "Elephants" off of the band's Exquisite Corpse LP.

Elephants starts off with a quiet, whimsical, lead guitar riff accented by soft singing and then crescendos into a flurry of high-hat rattling drumming, and intense distorted guitars and eerie cavernous reverb. The opening lyrics are more than a little sad: "I will break your heart to keep you from where all dangers start". The words are a melancholic refusal to risk the "danger" of trying to forge relationships and for some reason remind me of the lamentation of failed relationships in the Joy Division song "Means to and End": "I put my trust in you...in you". The dark, atmospheric, and deeply moving music coupled with these contemplative lyrics is a great gift to Warpaint fans eagerly awaiting the band's next full album.

No comments:

Post a Comment