Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Concert Geek's Dream Come True

It all started when my fiancee told me that she heard from a classmate that the had Doors played on our college campus back in the 60s. Being a pretty Doors fan I was psyched to learn that I've potentially been walking over the same ground as Jim Morrison without even knowing it. I tried to confirm this story by flipping through pages and pages of search engine results but to no avail. I don't remember what number page I reached on the search but I must have been well into the thirties when I spied a website called "Song Kick".

It looked like a concert database crossed with a social networking site which is very much something that I needed; so I decided to make an account. I even found a plugin that worked with my iTunes to track every artist in my library for concert dates! I didn't have to do anything, it just read my library and wham, I'm tracking hundreds of artists with three or four clicks. Now whenever one of them is playing near me I'll know! It's like the alerts on Ticketmaster or Livenation but they exist for basically every artist you can think of regardless of their popularity or even whether they're together or not.

You can upload photos of concerts you've attended and can look up events you were at in the past and click the "I was there" button. There's so much content on Song Kick that it would probably take years to go through. The most impressive fact is that the gigography of nearly every band is complete, even if they played long before SK existed.

I never found the gig but maybe one day I'll find the evidence elsewhere. There's always the possibility that no one has added the illusive Doors concert in question yet but even if I am wrong it's nice to think that I'm walking in Jim's footsteps when I'm bumming around campus.
Check out Song Kick and make yourself an account. You will not regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment