Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Diving into Sonic Youth

I listen to almost any kind of music you can imagine. If you recommend something to me, no matter what kind of misgivings I might have at first, I'll give it a listen. However, there are some bands I've avoided listening to because the person who recommended them to me was a prick. I hate to sound so shallow but people can ruin bands for me even if said band is undisputedly excellent. I won't reveal the name of this person but he ruined any chance of me getting into Sonic Youth at an earlier age because he was a giant, self-righteous, pedantic, music snob. I've since started talking to him again in an effort to make sure old wounds don't fester but back in the day he was a colossal jerk.

Since that time, I've experienced and loved lots of other sort of underground bands with huge cult followings such as Joy Division and Suicide and now I know that just because hipster pricks like the band doesn't necessarily mean that a band is overrated. Leaving my musical baggage behind, I've started to listen to Sonic Youth for the first time and am really enjoying their music. I don't know why, other than the stigma I've already explained, why I'd hate them. I've listened to plenty of other noise-rock and shoe-gaze by now and am pretty accustomed to that sound. I feel like I'm ready to listen and in the coming weeks will try and review something of theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment