Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Looking at David Bowie's "Low"


Although every David Bowie album I've listened to is wonderful,
Low has a special place in my heart. It's basically a concept album in the sense that Bowie tries new and different tactics including some interesting synthesizers, instrumental tracks, and all around radically different music. Bowie's early albums are marked by piano ballads, saxophones, and guitar but Low includes spacey, electronic, sounds that help establish a heavier mood not often felt in previous works. Supposedly David Bowie was struggling with depression and a "low" mood during the recording of Low and when you listen, it makes perfect sense. Some of the best lyrics on the entire album are from the song "be my wife",

Sometimes you get so lonely
Sometimes you get nowhere
I've lived all over the world
I've left every place

Please be mine
Share my life
Stay with me
Be my wife

And as far as song titles go, "Always crashing in the same car" has one of the most genius titles Bowie's whole discography and makes it sound as if he's deeply regretting something; just like "be my wife" the song sounds wistful and a markedly different from the glam-rocky
Aladin Sane or Ziggy Stardust. No songs from Low made it onto any greatest hits album I've seen and are probably alien to the casual Bowie listener but the album is well worth listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment