Monday, April 12, 2010

Gang of Four working on new album

British, post-punk gods, Gang of Four, are working on a new album and I'm extremely excited. I got into Gang of Four while I was on vacation in the UK with my family a few years ago, and saw some of their CDs in the bargain bin at an HMV. Little did I know that their seminal album Entertainment! would help sustain my long love affair with post-punk that I'd started with Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures.

In 2008 they put out an EP with one new original song called "Second Life" and some remixes. The sound is just a bit different than their older stuff but it seems very promising. I found out about the new album on my Facebook feed and ran into a funny problem when I tried to listen to the new song. The link redirected me to a music site called pledgemusic.com and I was told that if I "pledged" I'd be able to view the new material. The funny thing about this site is that it wanted me to apply for a membership before I could actually hear the new song. Gang of Four is famous, perhaps infamous, for their distrust of the corporate world and many different aspects of capitalism. So why are they asking me to pay to hear new content? Sort of hypocritical but I guess the world is different than it was in the 80s so I'll excuse this little problem. At any rate, I'm eagerly waiting for them to put out the whole album but until then, here's a little interview to keep you occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment