Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bringing Malawi to the world

I spied a band on the 2010 Austin City Limits lineup called "The Very Best" and felt like I'd seen the name before. Since I'm currently making a must-see-list for when I go at ACL in the fall I figured I should check them out and see if they were worthy. The band is pretty new and only has a single LP out which features the contributions of talents like M.I.A. and Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend; combining traditional African music with western beats TVB is a new noteworthy player on the indie music scene. Working with London music production team Radioclit, Very Best front man, Esau Mwamway creates warm, world music, inspired by the traditions of his home nation of Malawi. This culturally rich project has a bright future and a versatile style that I look forward to hearing at this year's ACL.

No comments:

Post a Comment