Sunday, July 18, 2010

Revisiting Lost Souls

One of my favorite albums of all time is "Lost Souls" by the British indie band Doves. The effect of this album is so melancholic, calming, and pensive on the listener that some days I would turn it on and it would literally put me into a semi-catatonic state of relaxation as I lay on my bed, ear buds in tightly, music turned up. Semi-psychedelic in nature, the album goes back and forth between ethereal instrumentals and satisfying indie ballads. Songs like "Firesuite" and "Break Me Gently" are undeniably trippy and out there but there are plenty of regular indie songs too like "Catch the Sun". The most powerful track however is title number "Lost Souls" which is one of the most psychedelic songs I've ever heard this side of 1975 while still benefiting from good, meaningful, lyrics and concrete songwriting. The album was released in 2000 but I didn't happen upon it until 2007 and I'm sure there are plenty of potential fans who've missed out on it even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment