Monday, July 26, 2010

A weekend of British rock, new and old




I had an excellent weekend even though I wasn't able to go and see Lady Gaga, someone who I've really grown to like over the past year. Somehow, I was lucky enough to grab two tickets to see Robert Plant for thirty bucks apiece at the Woodlands and he was phenomenal. Playing songs in the same folksy bluegrass style he had when he was touring with Alison Krauss Plant put his voice to good work performing new songs and excellent covers of Zep songs like "Houses of the Holy", "Gallows Pole", "O'er the Hills and Far Away", "Rock and Roll", "Thank You", and even a short version of "In my time of dying". His latest album,
Band of Joy comes out in September and I'm pretty excited to pick it up after seeing a few of the new songs the band played. Plant was accompanied exclusively by American folk and bluegrass musicians which makes sense considering the fact that he's always shown a flattering appreciation for the American folk and blues culture.

On Sunday I got to see Keane with a photo pass and got to go behind the barrier and shot some excellent photos even though I've still only got a factory lens on my Nikon. Yet at the distance I shot from it doesn't matter what lens you have. The front man from Travis opened and I missed him but got to see the end of Ingrid Michaelson's set and she didn't so much for me honestly. The ironic Britney Spears cover she did at the end of her set was so five years ago. Keane was great though. Here are some pics:

No comments:

Post a Comment