Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Young Girls tour US, makes Houston proud


Catchy-as-hell, local Houston indie band, Young Girls, has embarked on their first major tour outside of Texas playing shows in Missouri, Oklahoma, and Illinois. Just a few hours ago I heard from band member Pete Tijerina that they'll have a spot on the lineup at the Free Tulsa music festival as well. I got to attend their tour kickoff last week at Walter's on Washington and they play a well composed, tightly formed, brand of original indie pop that really stands out in the crowd. Lots of bands, as I was discussing earlier with front man of Jody Seabody and the Whirls, want to ride that shiny, attractive, indie gravy train but have no real talent to show for it but Young Girls are different. With no stupid gimmicks or gaudy Sergeant Pepper's wardrobe, Young Girls delivers excellent, accessible, music that has a wide appeal. I'm not sure when their next Houston show will be but I'll be sure to alert y'all when I know. In the mean time, visit their myspace and take a listen for yourselves. I'm not sure if their debut EP Out for blood has been officially released but you should be able to buy demos at their shows for a couple bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment